Forward-Thinking. Bold. Committed.
Doug France has spent more than 35 years litigating complex criminal and civil cases in state and federal courts in Pennsylvania, and around the country. Over the span of his career, France has tried over 100 jury trials to verdict. He has also successfully represented multiple clients in ADR forums.
On the criminal side, he has successfully represented clients in matters including Capital Murder, White Collar Crimes, Wire Fraud, SEC Crimes, Environmental Crimes, Drug Trafficking, Money Laundering and Defense Contracting Fraud, and Major Felonies.
On the civil end, France’s cases have included claims involving Breach of Contract, Insurance Coverage litigation, Federal Qui Tam action defense, Construction Litigation, Military Defense contract appeals, Shareholder, LLC, and Member Disputes. Other case types included Estate and Trust Litigation and Administration, and Manufacturing Defects.
Doug also followed up his six-year tenure as the Solicitor for York County PA Domestic Relations, successfully representing clients in obtaining multi-million-dollar marital estate awards.
- Estate and Trust Administration and Litigation
- State and Federal Criminal Defense
- Business Governance Litigation
- Shareholder/Member Disputes
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- High Net Worth Divorce and Equitable Distribution
- Estate Planning
- Ohio Northern University Pettit College of Law, Ada, Ohio
- Juris Doctorate
- Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH
- Pennsylvania, 1987
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1995
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1998
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1997
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- York County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Herbert I. Cohen Chapter of the American Inn of Court
- Jury verdict confirming a verbal gift of real estate valued at $510,150 (York County, PA Court of Common Pleas).
- 0$ Defense award in favor of commercial masonry contractor sued for negligence and breach of contract on $365,000 damages claimed in failure of a large retaining wall (Chester County, PA Court of Common Pleas).
- Defense of government contractor on claims of $2,500,000 First Article Testing fraud in simultaneous criminal, qui tam and defense contract appeals board actions (USDC MDPA, and ASCBA Washington, DC).
- $0 Defense jury trial verdict in favor of a York, Pennsylvania manufacturer on claim of component part failure and damage claims exceeding $5,000,000 (Fayette County, Georgia).
- Successful representation of an estate of Pilot/Physician from four wrongful death claims from a pilot error plane crash and a medical malpractice action, by negotiating global settlement of all claims allowing some monies to be passed through estate to heirs (York County, PA Orphans’ Court).
- Defense of business purchaser against claims of breach of contract, and breach of corporate fiduciary duties by a former co-owner (secured creditor/seller) with an achieved settlement totaling $9,000,0000 (Delaware County, PA Court of Common Pleas).
- A confidential settlement amount obtained on claims of breach of fiduciary duties and a surcharge request against a Corporate Bank Trustee in favor of remaindermen beneficiaries for portfolio decline damages (York County, PA Orphans’ Court).
- Successful defense of York, Pennsylvania plastic manufacturer against $5,700,000 in claimed damages for defective manufacture of component part, breach of contract and separate claims for improper insurance coverage denial (Lancaster County, PA Court of Common Pleas; Superior Court of PA).
- Trial Verdict in client’s favor for award of life insurance policy proceeds over subsequently named spouse beneficiary on finding of prior oral contract not to change policy beneficiary (USDC MDPA).
- Capital murder defense (guilt and penalty phase) resulting in unanimous verdict against the death penalty (York County, PA Court of Common Pleas).
- Representation of multiple clients for defense in charges of murder and manslaughter (York County, PA Court of Common Pleas).
- Representation resulting in civil penalties and case closed without charges or arrest against former VP of Finance of publicly traded company relative to criminal investigation regarding allegations of improper accounting practices resulting in an overstatement of company’s reported pre-tax earnings by roughly $118 million (USAO SDNY joint investigation with SEC).
- Successful representation of Mexican National charged with money laundering and unlawful distribution of more than 10,000 kilos of marijuana (USDC SoCal-San Diego and USDC MDPA).
- Successful defense of physician resulting in a probationary sentence on a 30-count indictment for charges of unlawfully distributing and dispensing controlled substances, false statements, as well as government claims of relevant conduct for prescribing 10,680 opioid pills and 8,431 amphetamine tablets (USDC MDPA).
- York County Domestic Relations, Solicitor, 1988 to 1994